ASSESSMENT 3 BRIEF
Subject Code and Title MGT604 Strategic Management
Assessment Contemporary Analysis
Length Up to 2,000 words
Learning Outcomes a) Critically examine how strategic management and core competencies can build and sustain competitive advantage in different organisational contexts
b) Critically evaluate different strategy formulation processes utilized by organisations and evaluate their relevance to particular organisational contexts
c) Develop and plan the implementation of a selected
strategy for different organisational levels including for change management processes
d) Consider the external environment of an organisation and analyse capabilities that can enhance potential market opportunities and manage risk.
Submission By 11.55pm AEST/AEDT Friday of Module 6.1 (Week 11)
Total Marks 40 marks
The assessment of this subject supports students in developing their skills and knowledge in the foundational management topics that include external environmental assessment, problem diagnosis, strategy development, and the consideration of cultural and ethical contexts. Effective strategic management is designed to proactively respond to changes in technology, external environment, and market tastes. A contemporary understanding of the dynamic forces shaping strategic choices is essential for the successful execution and delivery of strategy.
1. Over the duration of the course, you are to monitor news and online sources of opinion to identify three (3) separate strategic influences that together impact on the outcomes of an organisation of your choice. These influential factors may be local, national or international in nature, but they must represent a changing or evolving story. For example, advances in battery technology, stricter emission controls, and a general move towards sustainable energy has resulted in General Motors (and indeed almost all car manufacturers) actively marketing electric or hybrid models for release in coming years. Note this example is not to be used in your submission.
2. You are to discuss how the practice of strategy categorises these strategic influences, and identify the implications for the organisation in question.
3. Drawing upon your understanding of theories, models and frameworks discussed in class, you are to identify a strategic course of action to address these circumstances (by either capitalising on positive influences, or minimising the impact of negative influence) in a way that will result in long-term benefit to the organisation. This should include a statement of the firm’s revised goals as a result of this change in strategy.
Your Contemporary Analysis should be structured as follows:
Section 1: Title page
Section 2: Executive Summary
An executive summary provides a succinct summary of the content within the report. It presents information in such a way that readers are able to understand the intention and key elements of the report without having to read the entire document.
Section 3: Table of Contents
Table of Contents must have accurate page numbers and be attractively formatted.
Section 4: Introduction
The introduction sets the scene and provides context for the aim. It provides background to the issues being addressed only.
Section 5: Aim
The aim should start with the words, “The aim of this report is to…”. It should be a simple and concise restatement of the assessment task.
Section 6: Discussion
• This section should provide information regarding the analysis you undertook addressing the key deliverables.
• Identify three strategic influences that together impact on your chosen organisation.
• Discuss how the practice of strategy categorises these factors and identify the strategic implications for the organisation in question.
• Identify a strategic course of action that can be adopted by the organisation you have chosen.
• Present a statement of the strategic goals the firm should set, and their implication on the organisation.
Section 7: Conclusion
The conclusion restates the aim then provides a brief and concise summary of the discussion to demonstrate that the aim of the report has been achieved. No new information is to be included in the conclusion.
Section 8: Recommendations.
Recommendations represent the next steps derived from the report. For example, if your report concludes that a new factory is required to address the strategic change then the next steps will include obtaining finance to purchase the new facility and/or assembling and mobilising a team to explore options for location and size of the new facility.
Section 9: References
Please use the correct API referencing style and list in alphabetical order. It is recommended that you use reference management software such as EndNote or Mendeley to make the job of referencing simple and straightforward. Remember, every factual statement in your report will require a reference.
Section 10: Appendices
This is where you provide supporting material which is unsuitable for inclusion in the body of the report, but still has some value to contribute to the report.
This Contemporary Analysis is to be written according to academic writing guidelines and must be submitted in compliance with the following;
1. You should make significant references to the subject material and substantial wider reading. A minimum four (4) academic (books & peer-reviewed journal articles) & five (5) other sources (newspaper article, trade publications, websites, etc.) must be used. These should be referenced in the APA style, both in-text and in a reference list. References to ‘Wikipedia’ or similar unsubstantiated sources will not be accepted. The assignment is to include in-text citations and a reference list following the latest APA referencing style. The APA referencing guide can be located in the Academic Writing Guide at http://library.think.edu.au/ld.php?content_id=1882254 Students are to submit Assessment 3, Contemporary Analysis (with references) via the
Assessment link in the main navigation menu in MGT604 Strategic Management on the Student Portal. The Learning Facilitator will provide feedback via Grade Centre in the Student Portal. Feedback can be viewed in My Grades.
Students should use the brief to guide what to include in the assessment and the following rubric to inform the standard required.
Rubric: Assessment 3 – MGT604 Assessment 3 Contemporary Analysis
Assessment Attributes Fail (Unacceptable) 0-49% Pass
75 -84% High Distinction
Research and comprehension:
30% Content does not adequately demonstrate a postgraduate standard of detail and thought. Content somewhat superficial or with some gaps in understanding. Good coverage of the topic with clearly articulated explanation of the topic. Reasonable fit between theory and practice. Thorough coverage of the topic. Good application of theory. Good use of credible sources. Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding; insightful discussion; excellent and relevant application of theory. Multiple and credible references used.
Analysis and synthesis:
30% Reader cannot understand the foundations of the topics from the information provided. Poor logic. No evidence provided to support arguments. Basic intent covered; analysis and arguments could be more convincing with some evidence provided. Reader understands the arguments presented through focused analysis and evidence. Reader has a good sense of the analysis and evidence which is well discussed in argument. Insights are drawn from synthesised information Readers’ understanding of the analysis and arguments is clear; logical and well organised; detailed and insightful analysis; structured arguments; synthesis and understanding of links between issues.
15% Layout is confusing; logic, flow and use of language difficult to follow; numerous spelling and grammatical errors. Layout is adequate with acceptable logic flow and use of language. Some misspellings and grammatical errors.
Overall presentation is easy to digest; language succinct and well chosen; less than four spelling and grammatical errors. Good presentation content and language; easy to read and draw conclusions; no more than two spelling and grammatical errors. Overall style, use of language, figures and tables encourages comprehension; creative and engaging report.
MGT604_Assess 3_Contemporary Analysis Page 5 of 6
Reflection and conclusions:
25% Little reflection evident; unclear conclusions. Poor reflections and generic or somewhat irrelevant conclusions. Good reflections highlighting key aspects; relevant conclusions which are a mix of generic and specific conclusions. Rich reflections drawing from good research, analysis and synthesis. Relevant and specific conclusions. Insightful conclusions drawing from the discussion and evidence; creative and insightful reflection with relevance to the topic.
MGT604_Assess 3_Contemporary Analysis Page 6 of 6
MGT604 Strategic Management Analysis Today
Individual/Group Individual \sLength 2,000 words
Learning Goals a) Analyze how strategic management and core competencies can create and sustain competitive advantage.
b) Evaluate the effectiveness of various organizational strategy formulation procedures in various organizational situations.
2) Examine an organization’s external environment and analyze capabilities that can boost prospective market opportunities and manage risk.
Submission By Friday, 11.55pm AEST/AEDT (Week 11)
Marks 40 total
Examining the external world, diagnosing problems, formulating strategies, and considering cultural and ethical settings are all part of this subject’s assessment. Effective strategic management anticipates changes in technology, the external environment, and market preferences. A current awareness of the forces affecting strategic choices is critical to successful strategy execution.
1. Throughout the course, monitor news and online opinion sources to identify three (3) distinct strategic influencers that effect an organization’s outcomes. Local, national, or global, these relevant forces must depict a dynamic or evolving tale. Given the advancements in battery technology, stricter emission controls, and a general move towards renewable energy, GM is actively marketing electric or hybrid models for release in the coming years. Do not use this example in your submission.
2. Discuss how strategy practice categorizes these strategic influences and identify implications for the organization.
3. Using the theories, models, and frameworks taught in class, suggest a strategic course of action to address these situations (either capitalising on positive impacts or avoiding negative influences) that will benefit the organization long-term. This should incorporate the firm’s new aims as a result of the new strategy.
Your Contemporary Analysis should look like this:
1: Title page
2 Executive Summary
An executive summary summarizes the report’s substance. It delivers information so that readers can grasp the report’s aim and main points without having to read the entire document.
Table of Contents
Pages must be accurately numbered and beautifully designed.
The introduction sets the scene and clarifies the goal. It just provides background to the concerns.
“The purpose of this report is to…” It should be a brief recap of the assessment task.
• This part should detail your analysis of the important deliverables.
• Determine three strategic influencers on your chosen organization.
• Identify the strategic ramifications for the organization in question.
• Identify a strategic course of action for the chosen organization.
• Outline the firm’s strategic goals and their impact on the organization.
The conclusion restates the report’s goal and summarizes the discussion to show that the report’s goal was achieved. The conclusion must contain no fresh information.
Section 8: Suggestions
The report’s recommendations are the next steps. To address the strategic shift, for example, your study may determine that a new factory is necessary. Next steps include securing financing for the new facility and/or forming and organising a team to examine possibilities for location and size.
Please list APIs in alphabetical order. Use reference management software like EndNote or Mendeley to make referencing a breeze. Remember to cite all facts in your report.
This is where you submit supporting material that isn’t acceptable for the report’s body but still adds value to the report.
This Contemporary Analysis must follow academic writing criteria and include the following: 1. Significant references to the subject material and extensive wider reading. Must use at least 4 academic sources (4 books, 5 journals, 5 websites, etc.) and 5 other sources (newspapers, trade magazines). These should be cited in-text and in a reference list using APA style. Wikipedia and other unverified sources will not be approved. The assignment includes in-text citations and a reference list in APA format. The APA referencing guide is available at http://library.think.edu.au/ld.php?content id=1882254. Students are to submit Assessment 3, Contemporary Analysis (with references) via the Assessment link in the main navigation menu in MGT604 Strategic Management on the Student Portal. In the Student Portal, the Learning Facilitator will provide feedback. My Grades has feedback.